Friday, January 12, 2007

The Sequal

So the second week of the NFL playoffs and just like the first I'm bucking my recent trend and am going to run the full gauntlet. That's right, pregame, games, post games, the whole kit and caboodle. I don't even care that I have homework and am way behind in my class readings. It's time to prioritize and focus on what's really important.

With that being said there's a couple of things I think are needed to make the NFL viewing experience a little better.

1. CBS needs to do all games in HD. Bill Simmons (my favourite sports writer) wrote about this a few weeks ago and it cannot be reiterated enough. It's 2007, I have a television that my dad purchased in 2002 thats HD compatible. Now that I've seen HD it's ruined me from standard definition and I refuse to go back.

2. One suggestion I wish they would consider: try showing the game from a Madden camera angle (where the camera is directly behind the QB) it could pan back after the snap so we could all watch exactly how the QB sees it. As a QB myself and a avid video game player I can't see how this wouldn't work.

3. Ed Hoculi needs to ref every game and also do it in a cut off jersey.

Before I get onto the picks there was a rather large error from last weeks predictions. I wrote that the NYG defensive line was better than the Eagles because of Mike Strahan and it turns out he was on the injured reserve. I don't know what I was thinking and all I can give you is my sincerest apologies I promise to do better. Now onto the picks (Home teams in bold)

Colts VS Ravens (-4)
Winner: Ravens
It sure seems like we've been down this road before wondering if Manning has turned the corner and whether this is the year. I'll let you in a little hint. It's not.

Eagles VS Saints (-5)
Winner: Saints
Strictly based on my Jeff Garcia isn't good theory and oh yeah the Eagles best cornerback is injured against the NFL's leading passer playing at home and in a dome.

Seahawks VS Bears (-8.5)
Winner: Seahawks
The spread is just too big. Being a Florida Gators fan I refuse to bad mouth Rex Grossman (he was robbed of the Heisman in 2001 by the way) but the possibility of this ending badly just seems obscenely high. Not to mention the fact that the Bears D has been living mainly on reputation the past few weeks.

Patriots VS Chargers (-5)
Winner: Chargers
I don't care about the Charger's coach playoff winning percentage or Rivers' inexperience. The Chargers are clearly the better team. This feels a lot like the early nineties when the Niners passed the torch to the younger and more talented Cowboys. Hopefully we can all collectively stick a fork in the Patriots dynasty.

No comments: