Friday, January 5, 2007

Playoffs

The NFL playoffs start Saturday and I have to admit I'm not really that excited. This baffles me since just two years ago and every year before that this was a marquee moment in my year right up there with the college bowl season and Christmas morning and only slightly behind march madness and the end of the school year. I would like many of you devour hours upon hours of football watching a full two hours of NFL countdown followed by the one o'clock and then the four o'clock games and then NFL primetime and then the Sunday night game. Needless to say not a lot got done. This was before I had digital cable and the only games I would get were the always depressing Buffalo Bills or the team du jour on Fox. Now I cut out the pregame and highlight shows completely and will watch only parts of games unless I'm really interested in the match-up in which case I'll watch the whole game.

So what happened? you ask. Well the main thing is I went to University and I became way more busy. Since I was playing football on Saturdays they were a wash and I could no longer afford to have a completely unproductive Sunday as well. Once my football season was over I wanted to get back into it but I found myself getting bored watching non-stop football. I never thought that last sentence would ever come true and I don't know if I'm changing or if it's just a reflection on our ADD North American lifestyle whatever it is I want to go back to the way I used to be so tomorrow and Sunday are going to be a throwback to the old days. Pregame, actual games and postgame, bring 'em on.

On to the picks (home team in bold)

Chiefs VS Colts (-7)
Pick: Colts
The Chiefs are horrendous on the road and even though the Colts are awful against the run I'm pretty sure LJ aged 10 years this season. Also I don't really like that Jay-Z inspired dynasty sign after touchdowns. I think the league should force him to carry on basketball Larry Johnson's celebration of making an "L" with his arms. Also I've been told that Peyton Manning can throw the ball well.

Cowboys VS Seahawks (-2.5)
Pick: Seahawks
Even though I like the Cowboys I feel I need to bring it to every ones attention that Tony Romo is in fact not good. He will cost them the game and leave everyone wondering how did this guy make the pro bowl? I also like the Seahawk crowd to distract TO.

Giants VS Eagles (-7)
Pick: Giants
Speaking of QB's who aren't good there's two of them playing in this one. Let's break this game down.
QB: Manning VS Garcia (evenly bad)
RB: Westbrook VS Barber (slight edge to Barber)
WR: Plaxico, Shockey VS Brown, Stallworth (Giants)
OL: no idea
DL: Strahan ('nuff said)
LB: even
DB: eagles

so how does this equal a 7 point spread?

Jets VS Patriots (-8.5)
Pick: Patriots
I loathe the Patriots but you're fooling yourself if you think they lose here.

Let's go Gators
The Lancer

No comments: