Sunday, February 18, 2007

The View from Here

Sorry about the delay but I wanted to write about Friday's Rookie game but the game was so bad that I didn't have enough material for a column so I decided to throw in Saturday festivities as well. Anyways to start off some thoughts about the Rookie Sophomore game.

  • I always liked the Rookie Sophomore game and didn't really care if they played defence or not, so going in I had high hopes but at halftime when they were on pace for a 154-96 blowout I decided that was enough and didn't watch the rest of the game. I can't even tell you the final score nor will I spend the 30 seconds looking it up.

  • No wonder the Sophomores won with Chris Paul and Deron Williams at the point. I could have suited up at the 3 and we'd be alright.

  • The player that surprised me the most was Montae Ellis. Never even heard of the guy before tonight.

  • My favorite part of these games is when the score widens and people are only concerned with getting their points. The number one offender has to have been the Raptors Garbajosa who jacked up about a half dozen threes that were all way off.

  • I wonder if Adam Morrison cried at the end of the game? If anyone watched the whole thing let me know.

All Star Saturday Night

  • Just like Simmons predicted there was unbelievable traffic causing the players to be late which I guess explains us watching a Rat Pack cover band to kill time.

  • I was strangely intrigued by the Barkley VS Bavetta race and was shocked at the result. No not that Barkley won or that they kissed on the lips afterword but that this wasn't an hour long special on Fox.

  • After seeing the intro of players I guess the cool new thing is to have your pants pulled up real high with your shirt tucked in. I hope that was I cruel joke so white posers can try and copy that.

  • Most of the events were fairly unmemorable but I liked how the announcers tried to call the shooting stars competition like it was an actual event and it was nice to see LeBron coast through the skills competition after coasting through the first half of the season.

  • Now after defending the dunk contest earlier in the week I was a little disappointed with the result. It was nice to see them implement the Nate Robinson rule which limited the amount of dunk attempts. It was the happy medium I was calling for. I also liked how MJ judged it difficult because the bar has been raised so high that even though those dunks were good, they didn't approach what was done before.

  • Gerald Green has some real potential to be a great dunker. On that first dunk I swear his head is eye level with the rim.

  • Robinson's first dunk was very good but last year he was better. It's a shame that the best dunks of the night (Gerald Green's first one from the side and this one) were right off the bat creating a let down.

  • The sticker dunk wasn't that good. Is it that hard to slap a sticker on the back board and then just do an ordinary dunk? There's a reason why the judges (Who are some of the greatest dunkers of all time) gave it low marks.

  • We need to convince Richardson, Iguodala, and Lebron to take part next year. Offer more money, have them wake up with a horse's head in their bed, whatever just get it done. David Stern I'm counting on you.

  • After hearing all the hype about Vegas would there be a better place to go to college than UNLV? Actually I don't want to get into that now. It deserves a column of its own.

No comments: