Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Meat Market

Sorry about the lack of a column this weekend but there wasn't much worth writing about and on top of that I was pretty busy. But enough excuses it's time to talk about one of the strangely intriguing sporting events of the year. That's right I'm talking about the NFL Combine. Watching the combine is pretty weird. It's never very exciting and is actually rather quite dull but then you look up at the clock and wouldn't you know you've been watching for an hour and a half. Here's some general thoughts on the event.

Kind of depressing when you realize that some of these guys are as old or are a few months older than I am. Their built like Greek gods and ready to make millions. I'm sitting on the couch in my boxers eating cereal watching them run forty yard dashes.

Every year all the positions seem to be absolutely ripped except the quarterbacks who are usually quite soft. Well this year Brady Quinn decided to change that and looked like an absolute beef cake. Seriously the guy's built like a body builder.

Another point on Quinn, he decided to do the bench press (he put up a 24 reps which is very good) after the strength coach running the event talked him into it and his agent told him not to. The announcers all said how this shows what a competitor he is but how can anyone view this as anything but a negative? Does he get talked into anything? Could I talk him into giving me 10% of his paycheck because that's what a real man would do?

Joe Thomas (the top Lineman in the draft) ran a 4.86 forty at over three hundred pounds. I would kill for a 4.86 forty at 170 some odd pounds.

Notice how bad the QB's looked throwing. They realize it's a job interview right. They were sailing 12 outs and were barely getting 5 yards depth on a five step drop. On my five step drop I get seven yards and I'm 5'11, Canadian and going nowhere. (Just a quick detour here. My first year in training camp our head coach at the time who has since been replaced told the QB's how we need to get 9 yards depth on a five step drop and how every pro did this. Thanks for the advice that was really helpful)

Overall I wasn't overly impressed with the players skill sets but the thing that separates them from everyone else is their size and speed combination. These guys are just freaks of nature. Calvin Johnson is like 6'2 230 and runs a 4.35

Anyways I gush over these guys physical stats because well I'm jealous. I wish I had there physical skills but sadly I don't. So any armchair players want to feel bad about them self just turn it to the NFL network anytime from now until late April and you can see what real men look and run like.

No comments: