Saturday, February 3, 2007

Super Bowl

So the big game is finally here and I'm not as excited as I thought I would be but I'm still fairly pumped. Everyone dodged a bullet by getting the Bears, Colts match-up. While the major story lines this week have been about the first time two African American coaches made it to the Super Bowl, Peyton Manning maybe winning it all and no one picking the Bears to win just think of what it could have been if the Saints or the Patriots made it. It could of been two weeks of the Patriots dynasty and about how heroic the Saints are. Don't get me wrong what happened to Louisiana was awful but the Saints play football. There are thousands of more heroic people in Louisiana than the Saints and I think I'd rather eat feces than listen to people talk about the Patriots dynasty. (Sorry I had to be graphic but that's how much I loathe the Patriots)

A couple of thoughts before my big pick.

1. The most enjoyable part of Super Bowl week wasn't the clip of an adolescent Manning dancing but him explaining it seriously on Media day. Try and watch the clip while Manning explains it in split screen and try not to laugh. Go ahead try.

2. After reading a week's worth of Bill Simmons columns on how great Miami was it officially made the list of places I must see before I get married currently occupied by Vegas, Amsterdam, anywhere in Southern California and Salt Lake City. Now you're probably wondering why Salt Lake City is on the list and here it is, I have it on good authority that the women from Salt Lake City are unbelievably attractive. How does this happen in the middle of nowhere? See I have to find out if this is true.

3. Found out Bears defensive tackle Israel Idonije went to the same high school as a guy on my team. Apparently he didn't start playing football until he was a senior and didn't dress at the University of Manitoba until his third year. I started playing football when I was nine and started dressing in university my second year. He's in the NFL and I'm going nowhere. Kind of depressing.

Alright on to the pick.
Bears VS Colts (-6.5)
Winner: Bears
My head says the Colts but my heart says the Bears and considering my playoff record is awful might as well buck the trend and go with my heart.

A couple of things work in my favor.
1. Almost everyone has been picking the Colts and the majority is usually wrong.

2. Grossman as been quite effective against the Cover 2 which is the defence the Colts play.

3. The Colts defence was awful against the run all season.

4. Peyton Manning has been terrible in the playoffs and there's more pressure on him than anyone.

Still it seems more likely that Manning will have a great game after having to weeks to prepare and that Grossman will try to do too much and turn the ball over. But still I want to root for the Bears on Sunday so I'm going to talk myself into believing the above four points will reign supreme.

No seriously.

No comments: