Saturday, February 10, 2007

Simplicity

We're officially into the abyss and rather than try to write another piece about sports I'm going to throw you a curve ball today and give you a list of the greatest simple pleasures for the average male. So when your sitting there Sunday afternoon with nothing to do I got some cheap easy things to make the next month go by as painlessly as possible. Although some will clearly not be an option. Anyway on to the list.

1) Bowling: Way more fun than it should be especially when it's cold outside. Depending on the time you go the clientele can be iffy but nevertheless good times all around.

2) Trail Mix: trail mix is delicious and I'll fight you to the death if you say otherwise. One of the greatest synergies ever when you combine fruit and nuts.

3) Watching your old sporting events: Nothing like firing up the DVD player and watching myself in the Peewee football playoffs. Gives me chills every time.

4) Throwing a perfect spiral: Can be an elusive trick at times but very satisfying when accomplished.

5) NFL on Saturday's: How many of you have been watching the NFL and think to yourself damn, tomorrow I have to go to work/school only to realize it's only Saturday. Really cool feeling.

6) Starting a dynasty in NCAA football then uploading your players to Madden: I feel like I'm actually invested in these make believe players. You recruit them out of high school play with them for four seasons then get to play with them in Madden. I actually get sad when they retire from Madden and realize I'll never play with them again.

7) Watching a high school level sporting event in person: Not to sound weird but go to the right game and feel the energy and the players playing for the sheer joy and with all of the opportunities still in front of them. Very refreshing.

8) Watch and old timers pick up game: Weird to see them play. Some guys just enjoying the game and having fun others taking it very serious and trying to recapture lost glory. Hope I never turn into the latter.

9) Bruce Springsteen singing "The River" live: Gives me goosebumps every time

10) Those first few days in the spring when it gets warm: Just something I can't explain to people living in warm climates. It's been cold for months and then it finally is warm for a day. I would however rather live in a warm climate and never get to experience this feeling.

11) Being out in the country and staring at the stars: Especially in the summer makes you feel really insignificant.

12) The first time you bench press two plates (225): If you work out regularly this happens when your still a teenager and it makes you feel like a man.

13) First kiss, first time etc.: I'll throw every experience with the opposite sex in here. Kind of weird at the start but keeps getting better.

14) Meeting up with old high school buddies: Can be depressing for some but I've only had good times with this. Also applies to college buddies but considering I'm still in college I wouldn't know.

15) Finding money on the ground: I just found five bucks on the ground a couple days ago and I'm still pumped.

16) Pizza: Even bad Pizza is good.

17) Cheap gas: So it hurts the environment. Big deal, I like cheap transportation.

18) Getting the parking spot right out front: You step out of the car and take a good look around. Savour the moment.

19) Winning: Doesn't matter what, winning is winning.

20) accomplishing something early: doesn't happen often but is a big load of your mind when it does.

21) Helping others: No really

There's probably many others but that's the list for now. Sorry I kind of got a little deep on you but I was feeling rather philosophical today. I promise the next column will be about sports.

No comments: