Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Running Raptors

So football is finally over unless of course you count the Pro Bowl but since all football all star games at any level suck it's safe to say football is done for another year. I would like to say it went out with a bang but it definitely went out more like a whimper with Rex Grossman just tossing up picks and a very anti climatic ending of neither a blowout nor a close final quarter. On top of all that I decided to try to mix things up and pick with my heart instead of my head. A fitting end to a horrible playoff picks section. But spring is almost in the air and it's time for rebirth. We're still a month away from the sheer decadence that is march madness but for now my attention will turn to that other basketball league, the NBA.

Granted I haven't been watching much lately but apparently now the Raptors are good and with me living in Southern Ontario I feel it's time. Yup get out of my way and make room on the bandwagon because The Lancer is jumping on! (I promise that will be the last time I refer to myself in third person nickname or use an exclamation point)

So before I dive right into the games I decided to do a little research about the team.

Starting Lineup
Chris Bosh: averaging 23 and 10 and also displaying some shot blocking presence. It's going to be a shame when he bolts when his contract is up.

TJ Ford: 15 points 7.5 assists and 1.2 steals. Looking back it probably was the right move to trade for him. We've got like 15 guys built just like Charlie V and other than a stud center, point guard is the toughest position to find and in the new NBA it's more valuable than any other position. Although I'm wary of any grown man who still goes by initials.

Anthony Parker: 12 points 3 rebounds .436 from three point line. I hope this guy is a stud on defence because he's the only Raptor to start every game and I'd much rather take Mo Pete over him.

Jorge Garbajosa: 8 points 2 assists 5 rebounds. Bargnani cannot be ready soon enough.

Rasho Nestorvic: Very low minutes for a starter but still how can a seven foot center only average 4.7 rebounds? I'm pretty sure I could average 4.7 rebounds

Subs
Morris Peterson: 11 points 4 rebounds and only .380 from behind the line. Disappointing considering last year but get Parker out of there and he'll return to his old self.

Andrea Bargnani: 10 points and 3.6 rebounds but getting better all the time. Still it's a little disconcerting when your number one overall draft picks name is Andrea.

Jose Calderon: 9 points 5 assists. If only this were the world championships he'd be MVP.

Fred Jones: 8 points 2 rebounds and his minutes are declining by the day.

Joey Graham: 6 points 3 rebounds. How does this guy get a free pass? He's barely gets minutes and puts up no stats. It's not like he's that young either. He spent four years in college.

Bunch of others who don't log much minutes

So after looking at this team you can only wonder how they're starting to win. Then you realize their playing in the east and it all makes sense. Second round of the NBA playoffs here we come.

No comments: