Friday, April 6, 2007

Three Peat?

It's been a few days since Florida won there second basketball title in a row in addition to there football title and I purposely waited a few days before writing anything. I wanted to let everything sink in and see how things played out before I wrote something. Here's what I've come to realize.

1) I will probably never be this fortunate as a sports fan again. The Gators are my favourite team period and that includes professional teams. I know it may seem weird to have a favorite be a school that you don't even go to, but I've always preferred college to professional sports and with me going to school in Canada I feel like I can justify having a another school as my favorite. It's not like I jumped on the bandwagon either. I've been a fan since I was 10 years old and have been through Doug Johnson led football teams to first round losses in the tournament. The only other win that would be more satisfying would be to win the Vanier Cup because obviously I would be playing in it.

With all that said it is very unlikely that any school will have this kind of success again. It's something to savor and remember.

2) I was little disappointed that Billy Donovan asked Noah, Horford, Brewer, Green if they wanted to stay another year and go for the third championship. Noah probably should have left last year and Horford and Brewer are never going to raise their draft stock any higher. They've accomplished everything there is to accomplish and it's time to move on. As a coach you asked them to buy into your system and place basketball at the top of their priorities and they did so. I think you owed it to them to have their best interest in heart and tell them to turn pro. If they would have stayed the pressure next year would have been unprecedented. It's very conceivable that they would have lost and that would have (unrightly) diminished what they accomplished the past two years.

3) On the flip side it's nice to see that Donovan stayed at Florida. I never understood how some jobs have such prestige and that if they come seeking your services you have to go. Florida has owned Kentucky of late and Donovan is the face of Florida basketball. Other than money I don't know why anyone would leave.

4) Like all things in life it's the end of one era and the start of the another. So it's a little sad that I'll never get to watch Brewer, Noah, Horford, Green, Humphrey, Richard, Leak, Moss, Everett, Nelson and many others ever again in Florida blue and orange but I'm excited to usher in the Hodge, Werner, Speights, Tebow and Harvin era.

No comments: