Friday, April 13, 2007

Baseball Bouillabaisse

Once again I'll have to apologize for the lack of columns recently but I'm currently in the two week process of writing exams and I have 5 of them, doesn't leave me with that much free time. I know I said in earlier columns that I had to get my priorities straight and that studying for midterms and the like shouldn't take precedent over this but Momma and Poppa are paying for school and the my marks will be released in a couple of weeks. With all that information I decided to call an audible and put the column on the back burner.

There's a couple of interesting developments in the sporting world but the one that has caught my attention the most is the start of the baseball season. Here's a list of the things I'm most looking forward to this season.

1) Fantasy Baseball: I know I've mentioned this in at least two other columns but I can't really explain the amount of inordinate joy that I get from this. It's right up there with my college football video game dynasties and easily outdistances fantasy football.

2) Following the Jays: Even though they need everyone to stay healthy, Burnett to be consistent and Chacin to transform himself into Sandy Koufax to contend, every time they get on a hot streak I can't help but jump on the bandwagon. In fact if I do well on the next final I just might have to stop by their Tuesday game with the Red Sox. It's a value game and second level outfield seats go for $2.

3) Barry Bonds breaking Hank Aaron's record: I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet who's last name isn't Bonds that wants to see this happen. My feeling is everyone needs to get off their high horse and give him his due. He's breaking the most prolific record in North American sports and he's never been caught cheating (even though he probably has and when I say probably I mean 90% sure) Also don't' forgot there's tonnes of other guys who cheat, Ruth never faced African American players and Aaron's era wasn't clean either.

4) Roger Clemens coming out of retirement: Just like death and taxes you can always count on Roger to come back. How many more years do you think he does this? I'm saying two more after this one.

5) The time when a guy has a breakout season and then everyone suspects he's on steroids or human growth hormone. My pick this year is Ty Wiggington who will take the award from last years winner Gary Matthews Jr. who took the award from Brian Roberts. Although Jimmy Rollins could also snatch the award.

6) A-Rod/NY saga: A-rod's going to put up about 50 HR's 130 RBI and hit 300 while Jeter will hit 15 HR 80 RBI and also hit 300 and everyone in New York will tell you to a man that Jeter's better.

7) Manny Ramirez: You can never have too much Manny in your life. (That came off a little more homosexual than I implied but I'll keep it anyway)

8) The fact that everyone gets worked up over games in April when they have about 150 left to go.

9) Sportscenter in the summer when there is wall to wall baseball highlights. This is way more appealing in Canada because if you're not a hockey fan just like I'm not then you loathe how Sportscenter has about 45 min of hockey highlights per show, 5 min of the announcers trying to be funny and another 10 for every other sport out there. Drives me up a wall.

No comments: