Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The View from Here

Alright so I won't be called a NFL Draft expert anytime soon. I only managed to get 5 picks correct although I did have Jacksonville taking Reggie Nelson I just didn't imagine them trading down to get him. I also had New England taking Brandon Meriweather only I had them picking him with there 28th pick not the 24th pick. With that being said I still didn't come close to my targeted goal of 12 right. I guess I'll have to study harder and try to do better next year.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the draft.

  • I had the option of watching the draft on the NFL network or on TSN which was carrying ESPN's coverage. The only caveat is that after three hours TSN is switching to hockey leaving me with only the NFL Network. So I decided to start with ESPN's coverage I don't even care that the NFL Network is more accurate and provides better insight. You can't put a price on the entertainment value of Chris Berman paired with Mel Kiper Jr.

  • I must say that the best suit of the day belonged to Calvin Johnson who wore a gray 3 piece pinstriped suit. Not a big fan of JaMarcus Russell's all black. Would have been cooler if you had a silver tie or something considering you were going to the Raiders. (And for the record despite that previous paragraph I am in fact not gay)

  • Back to Calvin Johnson, everyone thought the fans would be all over Matt Millen for taking another wide receiver but the fans loved the pick and it looks like he made the right decision. In fact only the Mike Williams pick was a bad selection. When they picked Charles Rogers they needed a weapon for the young Joey Harrington so that pick at the time made sense. Then the following year they picked Roy Williams who turned out to be a great pro so that's a good pick. Then they picked Mike Williams which was a head scratcher considering they had other glaring needs. Then this year they needed a wide out and got the undisputed best player in the draft. So all in all only one of the four was a bad pick.

  • When Brady Quinn kept falling the only thing that I kept thinking of was his girlfriend. Did you see her? Frankly she was a little disappointing. She was alright but it looked like someone that I could have picked up. Maybe she's rich or has a great body or something but I'm telling you Quinn's going to look back on this and wish he didn't invite her.

  • Must say that the Michael Smith guy for ESPN was practically nailing every pick. Count me in the group officially impressed.

  • Alright when I switched over to the NFL Network it was better than I thought it would be. Rich Eisen was way more entertaining than I had originally thought and everyone knew there stuff which is more than you can say for Chris Berman and Tony "Why did they make me come to this" Kornheiser. The only downside was when Deion Sanders came into the booth and everyone had to pretend he was funny.

  • One final note on Quinn, he sat through four hours of waiting only to be picked by the same team that he thought would take him at number three. So basically he has the downside of playing for a bad team and gets to make about 25 million less. Good times.

  • Alright the last thought from the draft. My favorite pick had to be when the Colts picked Gonzalez because you may not know this but they are contractually obligated to have a white third receiver and with Brandon Stokely gone and Ricky Prohl being a senior citizen this pick made the most sense.

No comments: