Sunday, August 19, 2007

Summertime

This is going to be my last column for a little while. How long? I'm not really sure. Probably at least two weeks, although with my work ethic it could be much longer. Monday morning I start training camp for football which lasts for two weeks. It's pretty much all day (13 hours or so) so it will leave me with little time and energy to do anything else. After that school starts and with that and football I get even busier if that's possible so I'm hoping I can bang out one small column a week but we'll see.

With that said today is pretty much my last day of summer and the last day I'll have off until thanksgiving. So I feel it's a good time for reflection. This summer probably has been the least memorable one for me in a long time. For one I was too old to play summer football which is something I've done since I was 11 years old (I'm twenty now). On top of that I was supposed to get a Co-op position this summer but that fell through so I got a typical retail job and worked more than was really necessary. My downtime was pretty much spent training for the upcoming season. Not very exciting at all which isn't that big of a deal. School is unbelievably awesome so I can deal with having a more workmanlike summer. The thing that worries me is that this is going to be what summer is like for the rest of my life. That scares me. Summer is without a doubt the best time of the year with the warm weather and the nice tanned skin, the barely there clothing on the ladies, the long days of sunlight it just goes on and on. If this is a preview of my working life than I think I better go for my masters just so I can extend school a little longer.

It didn't help that the sports scene was pretty depressing with all the scandals and the Bonds bashing. So with that said here's my advice for the rest of you feeling like me with a summer being wasted. Mine is over but you can do some things to salvage the rest of it.

1) Go to a baseball game. Minor or Major league, doesn't matter. There's nothing more summer than baseball.

2) Go to the batting cages and take a couple of swings. It's more fun than should be. If you're not having a good time I don't know what to tell you.

3) Go to a drive in movie. Preferably with a girl but if you can't swing a date that's alright. We've all been there.

4) Go for a late night drive into the country and watch the stars. Sounds lame but isn't. No really it isn't.

5) Spend as much time outside as possible. The cold weather is coming, enjoy the sun while it lasts.

That's pretty much it. Hope your summer was better than mine and if it wasn't than seize the day. Wish me luck at training camp. Only two more of these then my football career is over and I'll have a real breakdown.

No comments: