Sunday, June 10, 2007

Commencement

There's been a couple of interesting subplots lately in the world of sports. We've got perhaps the greatest pitcher ever coming back to perhaps the greatest sports franchise ever to try and bring them back into pennant contention. We've got the first Philly winning a triple crown horse race in over one hundred years. And I not knowing much about horse racing initially thought "so what, a horse from Philadelphia won a triple crown race." Later I realized the that a Philly was a female horse so now I'm thinking "big deal a female horse won triple crown race. They're just as pumped with steroids as the Colts (males) are."



Anyway that's not what I'm going to write about today. Today with summer just getting under way and high school graduations taking place I'm going to give you what my commencement speech would be if I had been given the chance to speak to my high school class. See I wasn't popular enough or smart enough to be given this distinction so sadly this is the closest I'm going to come. Even though my high school graduation was two years ago I'm nevertheless going to give it my best shot. Anyway here goes.



"So I stand here before you after four years of our lives in this building. It's amazing how short of a time that seems. High school was an important four years, an educational four years, a sometimes difficult four years but above all else it was a fun four years. It Seems like yesterday I was just a boy starting freshman year, trying to fit in and not step on any one's toes and now I'm practically a grown man. My time here shaped me and who I'm going to become just like it shaped you and the men and women you'll become. I remember back in the summer before grade nine and I was a little nervous about starting high school and my parents told me not to worry and how this was going to be the best years of my life. It was comforting then but a little scary now to think like that. I mean don't get me wrong these were the best years of my life so far and I've had more fun and made more friends than I thought possible, but I'd like to think for most of us that the best years are still ahead of us. That we'll go on to bigger and better things, have more new and exciting experiences in front of us. So that's kind of what my message is here for you tonight. It's to celebrate our past accomplishments at this school which have laid the foundation for our accomplishments for the rest of our life. I know it's bittersweet. Statistics tell you that you won't talk to 90% of the people from high school which just seems unreal because I've known many of you since Kindergarten. I can't imagine my life without being able to see and talk to some of you. But that's life, we grow up, we change, we make new friends and have new challenges. Just like high school it won't always be easy but just like high school I'm sure in the end it will all be worth it. So here's to high school and all of the friendships and memories we'll always share and here's to the future. Let's make it the best years of our life."

No comments: